A Thai herbal compress or Luk Phra Kob is made from a mixture of aromatic herbs making this an indulgently, healing treatment Herbal compress massage originated in Thailand, is one of the best type of alternative therapy treatment which is used to alleviate bodily pains and aches specifically on your soft tissues such as muscles to help you to relieve the stress, improve your sleep, improve general well-being, promotes blood circulation, stimulate the lymphatic system which helps to remove the waste products from your body and manage pain including non-specific lower back pain and neck and shoulder pains and aches. More benefits of this massage include the following:
- Can help with alignment and posture
- Eases pain and tension
- Helps relieve stress and fatigue
- Stimulates the internal organs
- Stimulates the lymphatic system
- Improves circulation and blood flow
- Deeply relaxing
The use of a herbal compress is commonly incorporated into traditional Thai massage. A somatologist/health and skincare therapist/massage therapist will use a muslin cloth that has been packed with a variety of herbs, rolled up, and steamed until piping hot. The cloth with the herb combination will then be pressed or pounded directly on your skin by the therapist. The area treated will depend on the type of massage booked; for example, if you ordered a full body massage, the entire body will be treated or just a back, neck and shoulder massage.
During the massage, a variety of herbs and herb combinations can be used. The appropriate mix or herb depends on your objectives, and the concerns you would like your somatologist/health and skincare therapist/massage therapist to treat. For example if you suffer from headaches your somatologist/health and skincare therapist/massage therapist will choose and include herbs that will help alleviate headaches in you herbal compress.
Making an herbal compress:
- Place the herbal mixture in the center of the cloth and fold the edges up and over the herbs to form a firm, round ball.
- To make a handle, tie the top close to the mixture with yarn or thread. Keep the herbal compress ball tight so it doesn’t come apart while in use.
- Boil water in a steamer and drop in the poultice until steamed, about 30-45 minutes.
- Before using, check the temperature of the herbal compress ball on your inner forearm.
- You can reuse your compress four or five times before creating a new one.
Herbal compresses have numerous health benefits and can do wonders to your body. You will feel highly refreshed and energized by this massage. Choose a hot herbal compress massage for an unforgettable experience.